There’s still an opportunity to get American Express’ best offer for the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card. Right now , you can get 100,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. But you’ll need to act quickly because the offer expires tomorrow!!!
Credit card perks
- Earn 100K Hilton Honors points after you spend $3,000 within your first 3 months
Free weekend night award after your first anniversary of Card Membership.(not this offer)
- 12X on Hilton purchases
- 6X at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations.
- 3X for all other eligible purchases on your Card
- Hilton Honors Gold status
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year
- Earn 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points when you use your Card to both book online and pay for your Hilton stay.
- This card has foreign transaction fees
- Annual fee of $75 is NOT waived
Valuable Sign-up bonus
- Sign-up bonus worth around $500 if you value Honors points at around .4 or .5 cents per point.
100K points sounds like a lot but odds are you’ll probably just be able to land 2 or maybe 3 nights at a decent hotel in a major city and 1 or 2 nights at a solid hotel in a big city. However, it’s always possible if you’re really flexible to maximize the value of these points by staying on properties in places like Asia or random countries like Egypt. On some of those properties, you could squeeze a week or much longer out of the sign-up bonus.
But as stated, for a nice hotel in a major city, you’re probably looking at around 40,000 to 60,000 points a night. For example, if you wanted to book a Hilton hotel in the major tourist areas of Chicago (e.g., Mag Mile), it’s currently around 50,000 to 60,000 per night and even up to 70,000 to 80,000 per night for South Beach, Miami.
Although Hilton has done away with their award chart, the award chart below can guide you to see roughly how many points would be required for certain categories.
Bonus earning potential
- Earn 12 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 6 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card:
- at U.S. restaurants
- at U.S supermarkets
- at U.S. gas stations
- Earn 3 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
These earning rates are great and Hilton often offers different kinds of promos where you can earn double the base points on Hilton stays. Those promos combined with the high earning rates of the Surpass can be a superb way to rack up Hilton Honors points in a hurry. For example, it’s not uncommon to be able to capitalize on multiple promotions and earn around 20% back or more on Hilton purchases, which is very good.
Hilton HHonors Gold status
The Hilton Honors Surpass Card offers you Honors Gold Status. Gold status is a pretty decent benefit — you can read more about the benefits of Gold Status here but the benefits most related to this card are the following:
- 5th night free
- Complimentary breakfasts
- Potential for upgrades
Don’t forget the American Express Platinum Card also offers you complimentary gold status.
I think this is one of the hotel cards that’s a must-get at some point now that Citi has ended their relationship with Hilton. Thus, I think it’s highly worth considering.